rtr

rtr

Sunday, June 8, 2014

Day 1: Boulder to Winter Park

89 Miles
9,911’ Elevation Gain












Today was an adventure.  It started out as a perfect morning it Boulder.  To make things even sweeter, I won a new Trek cruiser bike at the starting line raffle.  I rolled out of the start just after 7am and started the long steady climb up Boulder Canyon to our first stop of the day in Nederland, renown for its eccentric residents and Frozen Dead Guy Days festival. I kept a slow steady pace and made it to the first aid station in a little under two hours.  I pushed on through, heading south on the Peak to Peak highway, until we reached Blackhawk.  It was rather satisfying to get to ride through Blackhawk as the town had prohibit cycling on city streets for a number of years.  We saw the first hints of coming weather as we started the climb toward Central City.  This typically isn't a cause for too much concern as weather usually rolls though an gives way to beautiful weather once again shortly thereafter.  The climb up to the Central City Parkway as we left Central City was extremely steep. Lots of folks just got off and walked it.  I really wanted to make it to the top on my bike and succeeded but my legs we burning by the top.  I had to and rest briefly.  Of course, it was at this moment that former Jelly Belly pro rider Alex Hagman came effortlessly zipping by on an identical bike to mine no doubt wondering if I was former teammate who had terrible let himself go.  With wounded pride but able legs I resumed the climb under gather thunder clouds.  As I started the descent down to I-70, the lighting and rain really let loose.  By the time I reach the bottom I was soaked but assumed that the worst of it was behind me.  I made a quick coffee stop in Downieville, about 55 miles in, and then continued north for the final climb up to Berthoud Pass.  It was rather discouraging when I notice the ominous clouds just above the pass, still 14 miles a ~4,000 vertical feet away.  Soon it was raining again, and then, as I neared the pass, the rain turn to snow and by the time I reach the pass around 3pm, we were enveloped in blizzard like condition. The state patrol was not allowing riders to descend the final 11 miles into Winter Park as a result of the conditions.  Hundreds of riders were forced to huddle in a small warming hut as we waited for buses to take us down to the finish. I made it down at about 4pm and was so grafeful for a warm shower and dry clothes.  It is now 7:20 pm and riders on buses are still showing up. See more here-http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_25924785/berthoud-pass-blizzard-forces-ride-rockies-cyclists-need. Thankfully, Rachel and Owen had come up to cheer me on and had already set up my tent.  We had a awesome meal at Hernando's and I'm now just winding doing.  Not a bad day, bu certainly one that I had hoped to complete under my own power. Hopefully tomorrow will be nicer.
Boulder Canyon



The start in Boulder.

Tour de France ride George Hincapie in the BMC kit.

DPF Aid Station
Central City

Snow starts to fall.

3 comments:

  1. Makes you feel like you're riding in the Giro, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep. That was exactly what I was thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep. That was exactly what I was thinking.

    ReplyDelete