rtr

rtr

Monday, June 9, 2014

Day 2: Winter Park to Steamboat Springs

95 Miles
4,213’ Elevation Gain














What a difference a day makes.  While the morning was frigid, the appearance of the sun was greatly appreciated.  Today was really my first day of figuring out the routine.The process of eating, packing, breaking down the tent, loading my gear onto the trucks, and prepping my bike took about a hour and I was on the road shortly after 7am.  My bike did need a little attention before I could get rolling for it had a thick coating of ice across the entire frame.  The first 50 miles went by a blur.  With the exception of a stop at the Davis Phinney Foundation aid station in Hot Sulphur Springs to grab a sandwich for the road and to shed my warm layers, I pretty much cruised nonstop along the gentle downhill from Winter Park to Granby and then through Hot Sulphur Springs into Kremmling.  Kremmling was pretty much the mid-point of the ride and the start of the climb up to Rabbit Ears Pass.  The next 20 miles were an easy, gradual, rolling climb.  The grade never steep beyond 5-7% until the last two miles leading up to Muddy Pass.  By this point, I was pretty much on my own.  Most of the riders were behind me and I just had a chance to quietly pedal along and enjoy the scenery.

Much of the road between Kremmling and Muddy Pass has little to no shoulder, but the vehicles on the road were very considerate for the most part.  Some of the riders on the other hand need to loosen the hell up.  I know that mamils (middle aged men in lycra) are frequently derided and sometimes it is well earned.  Most of the riders on the tour are super nice, but there are some folks who just can't seem to chill out and enjoy themselves.  Or maybe they just find enjoyment in being a complete Richard.  I feel bad for the volunteers who get treated like garbage.  Fortunately, most of these guys have bikes that far exceed their riding skills so I was quickly able to put them behind me.

The only real climb of the day was the relatively short and easy climb from Muddy Pass up to East Rabbit Ears Pass.  While not terribly high, it was a fair bit cooler there and there was still lots of snow.  Rabbit Ears is a deceptive pass in that there is an east and west pass with a lot of rolling in between.  Every time you think you are about to begin the descent into Steamboat Springs, you are met with another short uphill.   After I actually got over the true west pass, the descent was short and fast.  I got into the finish area in Steamboat Springs shortly before 1pm.  Being one of the earlier riders, I had the pick of campsites.  The one I found should do me just fine for the next two nights.  Life is rough here.  I just enjoyed a massage, burger and beer and will soon listen to George Hincapie's seminar.  I'm hoping to make it into town this even and enjoy a soak in the Old Town hot springs.  I may not leave.

Here's my data-
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/517492687
Fresh snow on Winter Park
Scenery between Kremmling and Muddy Pass

The rabbit ears

East Rabbit Ears Pass, the continental divide.

My home for the next two night

1 comment:

  1. Wow!! Glad you survived the snow. Of course, you are an Ironman. :)

    ReplyDelete